Tuesday, 3 May 2011

First blog!

Well well here we are!


This blog will detail my upcoming trip to the USA starting on June 25 and returning on July 8.

Story so far: All this began upon the announcement of the decommissioning of the USA Shuttle program.
Seeing as the Shuttle have been operating since the late 70's it's been one of those little boyhood fantasies of mine to 'one day' go see them take off. It was also one of those little fantasies I just assumed would never happen. Until now. This news of end of the program resurrected that forgotten desire, and as I was at work last Saturday (April 30) that the idea just came to me. Why not go?

So I contacted dad, he said yes and so begun the trip planning.

I went to the travel agent this morning. Spent about two hours there and this is what we came up with:
Leave form Brisbane via New Zealand airways and fly to Auckland. From Auckland I fly to LAX (Los Angeles) I have a 10 hour stop over there from where I'm planning  to do a quick day trip of the city to be back for my flight in the evening which will take me to Orlando.

I'll be landing early morning in Orlando (Jun 26) and will make my way to the hotel. I'll have two days free, Sunday and Monday during which I will probably visit Universal studios and or spend a day at Disney World (I have a 4 days pass). The following day, Tuesday, is the so-far scheduled launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis STS-135.
So far my plans are to hopefully get a ticket from the Kennedy Space Center which is a day pass where they come around with a bus and pick me up at the hotel I am staying, taking me out for a tour of the facility and when the time comes, take me to a piece of prime real estate from which to view the shuttle launch from. The one problem with this is, is that these tickets are not yet available, usually only available in limited numbers, and will probably sell out quickly. So my plan is is to give the center a call and see if I can organize something with them. Alternatively, I'll have to find a way to get to one of the other popular viewing destinations, however traffic is normally horrendous, so if this is happening, I'll be leaving early that morning and just camping out on the grass.

The following day I have planned another trip which will take me through a 12 hour tour of the Kennedy center, during which I'll also have lunch with an astronaut! haha how awesome. 

On July the 5th, I'll be catching a plane to New York City from where I would have joined up with an organized Contiki tour where they show me around the city. However, that idea has no been scrapped, for one saving me over $800, (considering most of the places they will take me too is actually free) Thanks to a long chat I had with Cameron (a friend who's been traveling the USA backpacker style) he's convinced me to do the same. Hostels are cheap, and he's given me a list of one that are actually decent, not to mention they do allocate private rooms if one requires. I also have a major list of things I want to see in New York, and I am also planning to catch a train and check out Washington DC (about 4 hours away) (None of this would have been possible if I were still with the Contiki tour)

I'll post up a plan of things to do in NYC one I come up with it. Cameron has filled my head with so much to do I don't think I'll actually have time for sleeping!

Unfortunately I just booked and paid for my flights this afternoon, if I hadn't I would have shortened my stay in Orlando to allow for more time exploring NYC.

Anyway, this is what I've come up with today only haha. The next few days I'll be checking over maps, scouring the internet and planning my trip. I am really getting excited now!

Oh BTW, a spot is still open to anyone who'd like to come with! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment